The Poem Dance

~ The dance is a poem of which each movement is a word ~

December 22, 2004

That Fateful Night

Not a drop of alcohol passed my lips that night
I told the host I had to go and left them partying till light
As I slowly turned to the right, just a mile away from home
Suddenly a car burst through the night
And through the silence came a loud "Boom!"

"He was drunk," I heard them say,
"As for the girl, oh so very sad"
"She'll never live to see another day",
"That drunk boy, was he mad?"

I can see Mom crying
And Dad looking very, very sad
I wish I could cheer them up by saying,
"I'm going to a better place, please don't feel bad"

My friends, who loved me at all costs,
were at my bed with tears on their faces
Some whom I thought were long lost,
Coming from my past, from different places

I said to friends and family by my side
"Thank you for your love so vast,
You've made my life an interesting ride"
And at the bosom where I drew my first breath,
With a smile, I quietly drew my last."

Authors Notes: This was written quite long ago, some time before my SPM. Someone commented that they've read a similar one. I realized that there are many drunk driving poems out there. And this is something I did write myself. Lets stop drunk driving.

Previously Posted/Published in : "Shells Upon The Shore" published by www.poetry.com. Also posted in www.fictionpress.com/~sikepi

1 Comments:

Blogger Onur Buyukceran said...

i liked it; although there are many drunk driving poems, this one has a soul :) keep up the good work...

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home